Stories and Tips About Running From A Not-So-Skinny Guy

Stories and Tips About Running
From A Not-So-Skinny Guy

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Highs and Woes

Note: The first part of this post might sound redundant to the Dailymilers who follow this, but I can’t help but share

The Highs

I was in class yesterday morning (and this morning, as I write this) for certification in the city of Edgewood, KY. Many moons ago, back when I was in college. I used to work for the public works dept. in Edgewood. The majority of the work I did was grounds keeping. And Edgewood is beautiful (though not as beautiful as when I worked there, but whatever). Dudley road runs from one end of the city to the other, with subtle slopes throughout, with the killer hills at the ends (avoidable, unless you want them), well kept sidewalks, and intermittent shade. The really amazing thing about this town is how considerate the drivers are to runners. Often, I would reach an intersection slowing to a ‘run in place’ speed to wait for a car to pass, only to be waved on by the driver. As if saying, “why should you wait, you’re bettering yourself, I’m just driving. Go ahead.”

What’s funny is that all those years ago I was working in Edgewood, in the heat wondering why runners bothered to run. Today I completely understand. It was a gorgeous day and the run felt amazing, I probably could have run all day. I ran from the clock tower (it served as my timepiece, since I can’t wear a watch) in Presidents Park down Dudley with the intention of turning around once I reached Freedom Park. However, when I got there I just kept going. Not because a dog was chasing me, not because I was behind a good looking girl, but because my legs felt good and I was really enjoying myself. So I kept going until I reached Woodrun Court. Not knowing how far I’ve gone, or how long I was gone, I just felt it was time to turn around (probably because I was nearing the end of the road, i.e. the hill). Amazingly the run back felt even better, even though it was more uphill. I stopped when I returned to the clock tower reaching it I learned that I had ran for 37min, which was cool and all, but I had no idea how far I had run. I clocked it on my iPhone on the drive back and it registered a 1.81mi, which doubled is 3.6mi. Nice long easy run at a 10:00ish min/mile pace and not once did I have to stop to walk. Not bad considering it didn’t feel the least bit difficult.

I felt so free, no watch, no iPod, no ponytail. I recently decided to start running with my hair loose, and I couldn’t be happier (I grow my hair out for two years at a time to donate). So long as I move at a steady pace and don’t have a strong tailwind the hair stays out of my face, it’s at the perfect length. Now, I’m no Anton Krupicka, but I know the flapping hair caught some eyes at last week’s race. Not to mention I may have been the only runner in Edgewood without an iPod, and I seem to be the only runner on DM without a Garmin.

The Woes

Went home, showered, loaded an old bike my brother gave me into the bed of my truck and brought it to the local cycle shop. My goal was to have it tuned up and ride it for the duration of the summer, just to get an idea as to whether riding was for me. Then if I liked it, then maybe I’d be willing to shell out the cash for a decent entry level one next Spring.

When I got to the shop, the employee took a look at the bike and informed me that in order to straighten the rim, replace the tires, replace the brakes, retune the shifters, and so on, it would most definitely be better to buy a new bike. Now, I really don’t think that he was out to put down the bike simply to make a sale (because I had the same feeling before I even brought it in), but that doesn’t mean I like the answer. Oh well, so much for outdoor biking, looks like I’m stuck at the bike in the gym and swimming for my cross-training; at least for now that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment