Stories and Tips About Running From A Not-So-Skinny Guy

Stories and Tips About Running
From A Not-So-Skinny Guy

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Running Class

I’ve come to agree with the statement that all athletics need coaching. For years I thought it was only for team sports (more so that everyone got along and did their job), but it’s become obvious that you need know someone who knows more about their niche than any human should. Not knowing any serious runners (besides one of my students, and he’d make it a point to embarrass me) I decided to seek one out. So a few weeks ago I signed up for a running class at the tri-state’s running shop/headquarters Bob Roncker’s Running Spot, mostly because it was free but also because I was actually free that morning.

The session was two parts: Technique, Drills, Exercises, and Stretches followed by them Filming us run (this part excited and scared me). Granted, none of the information or materials were new to me (I am a research fanatic) it was great to experience the lessons first person. Nothing replaces a actual teacher. Seeing the drills, doing them, then being told whether or not they were being done right is far and away better than trying to grasp them from a book or YouTube video. Later when we ran, there was a little warm up, but the instructor had/did something that I never would have considered. He had a little electronic metronome, and set it to 180bpm (an “ideal” pace for a short efficient stride). Once we got going it actually began to sink in, and the cadence felt natural (a little quick, but good). I did well on tape, but I think that was because I knew I was being watched (another reason why I should run with a partner, but that’s another story), and I wish I could maintain that on a longer distance.

Partly why this class was free was because it was being put on by New Balance and Merrell. They brought samples of their minimalist shoes for all of the class participants to try on, and even run around in. I wasn’t too big a fan of the NB Minimus Trails, the area between the arch and the “toe knuckles” was too tight, even when I went two sizes up (causing everything else to feel loose). I did however like the Merrell Trail Gloves, they fit perfectly snug with a wide-open toe box (freedom I’ve grown to love in my few laps barefoot on the football field) and there was just enough tightness around the arch to make it feel almost like support, without being intrusive (I especially like how when I stand still flat footed, I can feel the sag in the arch, telling me that the arch isn’t doing the work, it’s just helping the muscles in my feet do the work). Once I have to foot strength to run with zero padding (and the money to blow on even more shoes, unless Merrell is reading this and wants to send me some) the Merrells are the shoe for me.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this bit about the running class. For those of us who have toyed with the idea but not participated, it lessens the intimidation factor to get a glimpse as to what goes on in a class like this.

    The metronome technique is interesting! Is that a standard cadence adequate for most runners, or one the instructor chose based upon your height, gait or other criteria?

    Thanks for sharing, and major high fives on scoring the cheap shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete