Stories and Tips About Running From A Not-So-Skinny Guy

Stories and Tips About Running
From A Not-So-Skinny Guy

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Weekend Update 2-26-12


Miles this past week: 9 (big step down from the goal mileage)

Beer drinking goals: fail, I missed my tiny window for Hofbrau Doppelbock, it’s only available during the month of February and it runs out by the third week

Oh, yeah, that knee thing. In last Sunday’s post I mentioned that my knee was a little pissy, so I had skipped last week’s Long Run. I also, to be safe, skipped out on Monday’s run. Which kept me home for almost the entirety of the 3 day weekend (I dropped my wife off at work Sunday night simply so we could go out to breakfast the next morning) which was great. Saw my daughter Cassandra “almost” roll over (5mos) and watched Star Wars Clone Wars with my son (3yo) before he and I spent a few hours protect Cassandra from imaginary dinosaurs with our Thundercat Sword and Lightsaber.

Ultimately, playing it safe left me with an Easy run on Thursday for 3ish, and a short short Long run on Saturday for 6. The knee felt okay. There was a little tenderness and soreness, but my right knee ended up hurting even more (compensation). This next week I plan on doing my regular plan mileage wise, but replacing the Pace and Speed runs with Easy runs.

Fun stuff aside. I’ve noticed a strange correlation in my health/training. When I pull back the numbers on my running I see my unhealthy habits go up. See Diagram (A: Weekly Miles, B: Crap Food)
It’s as if I replace my runs with binge eating. Then all my work and efforts towards my training goals takes not just 1 step back due to lack of training, but a 2nd step back due to the crap food. Not to get too psychoanalytical, but I’m certain that since I’ve been more serious about my running, it has become my main stress reliever (in place of Scotch). And when I can’t run I stress eat.

Anybody out there (in the vast sea of my followers) have any advice on how to deal with a situation like this.

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel your pain. I dread off days because if I don't run, I eat and/or drink way too much.
    (My poison of choice also scotch recently. :)

    I've tried to "cross train" more on days off. (Using the term in a very loose and wimpy way here :)
    Sometimes its just a hike with the kids, sometimes just tossing the football or walking to the library, sometimes an easy bike ride.
    It seems that some form of activity, even if very light, offers the stress release outlet I need.
    Then better food choices come easier.

    I know its tough to be on the feet when the knee is pissy, so your options for this kind of thing might be more limited right now... maybe easy biking is a possibility?

    Good luck with this. I struggle with it like hell, all of the time. Its a never ending battle... especially cause I love good food and good drink. :)

    If you have any helpful epiphanies or tips please do share. I have yet to find the silver bullet for this issue too.

    ReplyDelete